Saturday, June 30, 2012

Noela's Book - ALAW 1, 2012

Yes, it's all finished.
I wanted to prove to myself that I could do the formal calligraphy style letters.
I wanted a 'classical look' for the presentation, and thought a standard book with turning pages might be a tad boring. Always wanted to try the 'flag book', so here it is.
Not being a 'book maker', I was confronted with major construction issues - tried the concertina bit 3 times before I got it right and nearly ruined the letters in the process.
I had a bright idea - I wanted to fasten the covers with magnets - hmmmmm
- this time at least 6 attempts to get it right.
Gave up and went for a simple slip cover instead. It was too big, so more modifications and extra layers of card.
Painting the ABC for the cover was the fun part - the rest was pure tedium.
...playing with the concertina,
...letters in place,
...book opened up with small slip cover,
...all closed up and looking very formal!! [Thanks Fiona for the cover paper]
...detail of ABC on cover.

Once again, this has been a great project, especially the sharing with others across the miles, and seeing how others' creativity is expressed. It's also great for me to have the opportunity to try new things without the pressure of exhibtions and public scrutiny.
Thanks Fiona.

9 comments:

  1. Noela, your presentation is stunning! Your perseverance is amazing as well. I love all of your classic letters and the 'ABC' on the cover is a nice touch, like 'icing on the cake'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Noela,
    What a beautiful finished book. All your effort and perseverance was worth it. I think your choice of Flag Book was an excellent idea, as it is lovely to see all the letters together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Noela,
    What a beautiful finished book. All your effort and perseverance was worth it. I think your choice of Flag Book was an excellent idea, as it is lovely to see all the letters together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your first flag book! It looks perfect and it certainly is beautiful. I love the colours you chose for your formal calligraphy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW... what a stylish presentation... as are your letters. Gold star for you Noela.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the flag book is elegant as are all your letters ! I think I'll try someday that flag book making but I'm a bit scared of it ...
    what will be your next alphabet ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been drawn to the flag book for a long time and have printed out several instruction versions. I'll get to it someday....and your book is inspirational. I love how the flag presentation allows all the letters to be seen together. It's really a stunning book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi N - your perseverance paid off! But then one person's tedium is another's mediation perhaps!!?! I'm sure this was a true struggle, getting the concertinas to fold just so, but it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on our work - it's always good to hear what folk think!