Monday, February 20, 2012

rObfOs Jan/Feb braille alphabet offerings


Herewith my dotty letter offerings for Jan/Feb 2012:
- Braille Alphabet -

As predicted in my first post about my braille alphabet,
I am finding it difficult to pace myself. 

My format is very simple and
I just can't limit myself to cutting out one piece of metal.  
For continuity's sake, I want to do them all at once.
Since the whole concept of the alphabet is tactile, it is hard
to make them look exciting in photographic form
(I have been having fun running my fingers over them, but oh, the fingerprints!) 

 I shall have to spend my time thinking of some very clever way of 
displaying them as a whole to make them more appealing.

Curving the metal plates around something cylindrical is
going around in my mind at the moment
and of course making sure the sharp edges are contained so that
nobody ends up with cut fingers.

Also thinking about adding to the sensory side of things 
with the noise the plates might make if they were to jingle together.

8 comments:

  1. great idea ! and the colored points make them nice to people who can see, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of having them curved around a cylinder. Don't know how you'd overcome fingerprints.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful - the coloured dots are fabulous and I find myself 'learning' braille with every post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have loved to do a Braille alphabet as well - so tactile! I like the idea of them making some noise somehow, adding to the sensory experience, I think you'll have to accept fingerprints, because people will want to touch them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Fiona, and those fingerprints may just give them an extra dimension! Kind of like the viewer being participative in the final outcome - after all this is a collaborative type of project. And how nice to think viewers will actually want to be interactive with my little offering.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on our work - it's always good to hear what folk think!