Sunday, February 12, 2012

Introduction - Deb

Hello, my name is Deb. I only discovered ALaW recently and was so inspired by all the brilliant and fascinating work. I really enjoyed looking back over the last two years.
I live in South Australia and have been quilting and stitching for thirty years. I like to mix machine and hand work.
I haven't done a lot of work with the alphabet apart from appliqueing white towels with new baby's names for all my daughters friends. These have been extremely popular. I think after making the major decision of naming your baby, to see the name in print (in any form) is very exciting.
I don't even know a lot about alphabets so I am looking forward to doing some research. I know all you calligraphers would have a vast knowledge! 
For my first alphabet I have made little linen and lawn sachets, turned them inside out, stitched around the edge and then appliqued a spotty letter on the front. I am then stitching a simple circle using hand dyed (by a friend) crochet cotton. The alphabet fabric is a multi-coloured piece of batik, so all the letters will be a different colour. 
Not quite sure how I am going to put these together yet but I have a few ideas.
The font I am using is Bookman Old Style from Microsoft Word.





7 comments:

  1. Your work looks lovely, Deb. I am very envious of your obvious stitching talents (definitely not something I naturally possess, after many attempts at trying).

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are delightful Deb... your work adds a new dimension to the group. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be such a cool alphabet to watch - I can't believe how even your stitches are! I think you're the first to work in fabric - very cool. Welcome aboard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Deb! I love your letters. Such beautiful stitching... I look forward to seeing the rest of your work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your kind words and welcome. It's so nice to be part of this group.

    ReplyDelete
  6. really nice, Deb ! I like quilting and stitching too, but usually I write on fabric ... I'll try to sew some letters next time !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like these Deb - they really make me smile.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on our work - it's always good to hear what folk think!