Saturday, February 11, 2012

My Introduction to ALAW

Hello all, I'm Lorinda from Victoria, BC, Canada and I'm super excited to be a part of A Letter a Week.

I'm just returning to my artsy self after a 7-8 year hiatus. I took an art class at one of our local art stores and the rest, they say, is history. Next thing I knew I was taking part in Art Every Day Month in November which was a wonderful source of inspiration for my budding return—and a great kick in the pants! Since then I've been playing with acrylics, watercolors, pastels (oil, pencil, and charcoal), mixed-media collage, and photography—basically anything I can get my hands on!

I've started this project with my dot alphabet. I'm making all of my letters out of only circles (my dots) and triangles. I'm using colored paper (2 x 13 colors) and origami paper for a bit of pattern. I wanted to keep this first attempt clean-lined and simple. For my second alphabet the skies the limit and I'm hoping to play with some sort of new (to me) media. I've seen the amazing variety of alphabets here on ALAW and am blown away by the vast array of materials used and the level of skill and talent. Thank you for letting me play along!

Here are my first six letters:






6 comments:

  1. again, something very different ! I love your letters, so funny, and nice colors

    ReplyDelete
  2. These letters really make me smile- simple yet sophisticated design; and such happy colours! Welcome aboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lorinda, glad to hear you've found your creative self again after a bit of a break (I had a similar experience of being lost in the creative wilderness whilst my children were little). Your letters look quirky and fun, you can tell you're enjoying the process of creating them. Look forward to seeing what else you cook up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Lorinda. Your creative self was obviously never lost... these are cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lorinda - SO nice to find you here and glad you decided to join in! I love the whimsy and simplicity of your letters - what a great series it will be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for your warm, welcoming comments!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on our work - it's always good to hear what folk think!